And guys? I’m like a really good singer.
I’m like that singer you wish you could be. American Idol was invented for singers like me. They needed some kind of platform to showcase voices like mine.
I’m pitch perfect, harmony is spot on.
And then there is that moment, when the music ends and I continue singing without any music or other vocals to drown me out, that everything comes full circle.
I am an AWFUL singer.
But you know what? I still do it. There is no way I could possibly listen to music without singing along or without really getting into it. I don’t understand people who just causally listen to their iPods while reading a book, or talk to other people while their earphones are clearly still in their ear.
If I’m listening to music I tap along, rock my head, sing along (or if I want to be nice to people, I’ll lip-sync). Please, Britney Spears has NOTHING on me in terms of lip-syncing.
Do I sometimes look like an idiot? Absolutely. But you know what? I’m livin’, man.
I hear so many people make excuses for not doing certain things, or plan so far ahead that they are barely paying attention to the moment they are in now.
What’s the John Lennon quote? Life is what happens when you are making other plans.
That’s it, right? And that WAS John Lennon, right? I should totally probably Google that…
Well anyway, you get the point. I’ve had a crazy realization recently. You want in on this earth shattering news?
Ok, here it is.
People, life is short.
But we can tackle this two ways. We can either sit here and just get through life making other plans, or we can just get out there and eff’ing LIVE!
You want to sing so loudly people will think you’re crazy? Go for it. And if you’re in your car and you’re worried that other drivers will think you’re nut-so, who cares?! When are you ever going to see them again in life?
Want to learn how to play an instrument? Do it. Learning new things is never a bad thing.
Want to travel the world? See new sights? Hell yeah!! Do it now while you can. No worries, man. Just GO!
Want to take golf lessons? Me too! I’m nervous as all get-out because I am CONVINCED hips should never twist like that. But you know what? I’m doing it. I’m doing it because I can, and I WANT to!
Heck, you want to go swimming in a pool of chocolate pudding? Why not?!
(OMG, I HAVE TO GO SWIMMING IN A POOL OF CHOCOLATE PUDDING)
The point is, no matter what you want to do, just do it.
Life is short, and you never know what’s going to happen. We (especially Americans) get so caught up in all the bad, that we forget about the good.
We constantly worry about money, work, money, and more work. Relax. Take a breather.
Go see your favorite band at a concert. Read that book that you’ve been putting off because you’ve had no time. Take a vacation day from work (that’s why they give you them) and spend the day for YOU and not someone else.
Enjoy life’s simple pleasures. Stay up early and watch the sun rise. In the evening, stop what you’re doing and watch the sunset. Look for shooting stars. Eat dessert first.
Do you really want to just tear into a big, juicy bacon cheeseburger and fries but are worried it’s going to go straight to your hips? GO. FOR. IT. Dig right in with no shame and take that sucker down like it’s the last thing on earth left to eat. And stop worrying about your hips. You look great. More than great, actually. You’re amazing. Never change.
Just take a look around and experience life.
Laugh with your friends. It’s the best thing you can ever do.
Spend time with your family. If you love your family like I do, spending time with them is the greatest pleasure I can think of.
Tell the people that are special in your life that you love them.
I love you.
Oh, and make Homemade Peanut Butter Cups.
Because it’s peanut butter and chocolate.
And because they’re just so darn cute, and so darn easy. And because you can finally say you’ve made homemade candy.
Scratch that sucker off your bucket list. Look at you living life to the fullest already!
And because THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!!
And did I mention that it’s peanut butter and chocolate?
I did say that already?
I love you
HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS
Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker
1 cups creamy peanut butter
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup light brown sugar
1¼ cups powdered sugar
4 cups milk chocolate chips (two 11.5-oz bags)
¼ cup vegetable shortening
1. Line a mini-muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. Line a baking with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the peanut butter, butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Heat until completely melted and starting to bubble a little, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the powdered sugar a ¼ cup at a time, stirring until completely combined with the peanut butter mixture after each addition. Set aside and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments, until completely melted, stirring after each burst.
4. Using a small cookie scoop or a couple of teaspoons, spoon melted chocolate into the bottom of each lined muffin cup.
5. Use a heaping teaspoon to scoop out the peanut butter mixture. Roll it into a ball, and then flatten it slightly into a disk. Place on the prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Once finished with all of the peanut butter mixture, refrigerate both the muffin tins and the peanut butter patties for about 30 minutes.
6. Place a peanut butter patty on top of each chocolate-lined muffin tin. Then use a scoop or spoon to add more melted chocolate on top and around each peanut butter patty. (If the melted chocolate firmed up, just pop it back into the microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds or so to re-melt.)
7. Refrigerate again for 30 minutes, then they’re ready to serve! Store in the refrigerator or freezer. You can keep at room temperature in an airtight container if you’re going to serve them the same day, but they’ll start to get soft if not at cool room temperature.
My pictures are awful because they were taken with my cell phone, but you know what? I’m sharing them with you anyway. Look at me not caring about the little things!! I am living life.